Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cupcakes! › A Thread for all UK bakers!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A Thread for all UK bakers!! - Page 148

post #2206 of 23161
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmarco5

Out of shells, normally in shells!! LOL. OK might be where I went wrong then! LOL, another is in the oven on lower gas, I have a day free so am trying to get this right & scale recipe to other sizes & for with cocoa, once I have done it will make it easier for me, rather then my usual chuck everything in & hope its the right amount!! LOL
Thanks againx



lol that could be it - hopefully not with the shells on mixed up too (just kidding icon_smile.gif) yeah once you get the mix how you want it that will really help. got to look at it like a science and do it methodically. no opening oven too quick or any draughts in the room (opening and closing doors or windows!) good luck let me know how it goes icon_smile.gif always happy to help if I can
Cakes Kent
Cakes Sidcup
Reply
Cakes Kent
Cakes Sidcup
Reply
post #2207 of 23161
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutcakeuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmarco5

Out of shells, normally in shells!! LOL. OK might be where I went wrong then! LOL, another is in the oven on lower gas, I have a day free so am trying to get this right & scale recipe to other sizes & for with cocoa, once I have done it will make it easier for me, rather then my usual chuck everything in & hope its the right amount!! LOL
Thanks againx



lol that could be it - hopefully not with the shells on mixed up too (just kidding icon_smile.gif) yeah once you get the mix how you want it that will really help. got to look at it like a science and do it methodically. no opening oven too quick or any draughts in the room (opening and closing doors or windows!) good luck let me know how it goes icon_smile.gif always happy to help if I can



Thanks x. do you just replace some flour (about 1/4 - 1/5) with cocoa for choc sponge?

Sandra's Cakes

Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
  
Reply

Sandra's Cakes

Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
  
Reply
post #2208 of 23161
hi guys- little off topic, but when does the 'Most viewed' refresh in UK time? x
post #2209 of 23161
Hi all fellow UK cupcakers!
I'm brand new here started reading your posts got to page 30 so far!!

I have a few questions for those that sell cupcakes-

Do you decorate with fondant decorations on buttercream or just one or the other?
Where do you sell them?

And another question for all
Does anyone have a rich chocolate frosting that will pipe?? One that looks like dark chocolate when used.

I've uploaded some of my photos and would love feedback.

I'm hoping to be up and running in about a month selling my cake!!
post #2210 of 23161
Hi guys - I will be back in the UK in the first week of August, and was trying to find a decent cake design/decorating class or two...any theme or subject really (intermediate to advanced flowers, royal icing piping, decorative techniques etc). I only really want 1 or 2 days. I will be in Lincolnshire but can travel no problem. Does anyone know of any? Preferably without spending 995 GBP at LVCC or Peggy Porschen's academy!! Anyway they have no courses worthwhile in August...

Or maybe I can see about setting up a one on one with someone uber-professional for a couple of hundred quid. Ideas? Or have any of you done this?

Thanks in advance!
post #2211 of 23161
Thank you for this thread. Just come across it. Someone who can finally understand the frustration of everything on this site being in american measures and ingredients iv'e never heard of. It seems to me that Americans use a lot of boxed cake mixes. I have been trying to find conversion charts for days. I just dont understand " dry weights and liquid weights and cups etc " I think i might finally have cracked it and am going to have a go later at the oreo cupcake recipe. I will let you know if it works out or not.
So many recipes, so little time!!
Reply
So many recipes, so little time!!
Reply
post #2212 of 23161
so, after reading many posts from U.S bakers, and ending up a little confused, i now need some information from you lovely U.K bakers icon_smile.gif

- is there a uk equivalent to pudding mixes?

- what do you use to flavour your cupcakes in the UK, the US ladies seem to use a lot of coffee syrups and lorrann oils.

- same goes to flavouring buttercream, what do you tend to use?

- is there a uk equivalent to bettercreme??

thanks so much icon_smile.gif
post #2213 of 23161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

Hi guys - I will be back in the UK in the first week of August, and was trying to find a decent cake design/decorating class or two...any theme or subject really (intermediate to advanced flowers, royal icing piping, decorative techniques etc). I only really want 1 or 2 days. I will be in Lincolnshire but can travel no problem. Does anyone know of any? Preferably without spending 995 GBP at LVCC or Peggy Porschen's academy!! Anyway they have no courses worthwhile in August...

Or maybe I can see about setting up a one on one with someone uber-professional for a couple of hundred quid. Ideas? Or have any of you done this?

Thanks in advance!






Hi Dayti

I too have been looking for courses in Lincolnshire as I live in grantham. They are few and far between . There is a cake shop in Grantham and she sometimes does lessons at her shop but to be honest she is not that good. I know people that have been to her and they have all said that she learnt nothing.
I was considering setting up a class at my house for fellow bakers with no cost invoved. That way we could learn from each other. Ifyou do find a class anywhere please let me know as I would love some more tuition.
Thanks
Tracie x
post #2214 of 23161
Hi Dayti,
I have done a bit of research and come across a shop in Horncastle that offers classes at £20 a session. I think its called Horncastle cake shop.
good luck and i hope I have helped. icon_biggrin.gif
post #2215 of 23161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna1

so, after reading many posts from U.S bakers, and ending up a little confused, i now need some information from you lovely U.K bakers icon_smile.gif

- is there a uk equivalent to pudding mixes?
* Dont really know what that is, but always thought it was something like custard powder or blamanche mix? maybe not though!*

- what do you use to flavour your cupcakes in the UK, the US ladies seem to use a lot of coffee syrups and lorrann oils.
*I use orange, lemon or lime juice & zest, melted chocolate, cocoa, banana, coconut etc.*

- same goes to flavouring buttercream, what do you tend to use? * same, juices & zest, lemon curd, melted chocolate & cocoa, banana rum liqueur, baileys, anything really!!*

- is there a uk equivalent to bettercreme?? * not sure what that is?*

thanks so much icon_smile.gif

Sandra's Cakes

Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
  
Reply

Sandra's Cakes

Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
  
Reply
post #2216 of 23161
Quote:
Originally Posted by melonball

Hi all fellow UK cupcakers!
I'm brand new here started reading your posts got to page 30 so far!!

I have a few questions for those that sell cupcakes-

Do you decorate with fondant decorations on buttercream or just one or the other? *I use both, fondant/gumpaste (often half and half mix) on buttercream or on fondant (see my pics)*

Where do you sell them? *friends, freinds of friends, recommendations, word of mouth*

And another question for all
Does anyone have a rich chocolate frosting that will pipe?? One that looks like dark chocolate when used.

I've uploaded some of my photos and would love feedback.

I'm hoping to be up and running in about a month selling my cake!!

Sandra's Cakes

Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
  
Reply

Sandra's Cakes

Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
  
Reply
post #2217 of 23161
hi for those in the east midlands and wanting courses try strawberry cupcakes and april delights, both in nottm.
i have been on the strawberry cupcakes one and am going on the april delights course in a few weeks
post #2218 of 23161
does anyone have an easy recipe for an egg free sponge?
I am making a cake for my friends birthday for saturday & she just informed me that her daughters new boyfriend will be there & is allergic to egg so she told him 'never mind my friend can make you an egg free cake!!' all a bit last minute!

Anyway so its egg free for 1 person! (friend said, make him a cupcake!!) but am also making a cake for same people for the following weekend, so figures I could cook 2 tiny ones & freeze one for next week, if that will work

Thanks in advance x

Sandra's Cakes

Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
  
Reply

Sandra's Cakes

Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
  
Reply
post #2219 of 23161
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmarco5

does anyone have an easy recipe for an egg free sponge?
I am making a cake for my friends birthday for saturday & she just informed me that her daughters new boyfriend will be there & is allergic to egg so she told him 'never mind my friend can make you an egg free cake!!' all a bit last minute!



Got this out a cake decorating mag but not tried it yet. makes a 6in round

200g sweetened condensed milk
140g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
60ml melted butter or 60ml margarine
1 tsp vanilla essence
75ml water

sieve flour, baking powder and baking soda together. mix flour flour mixture, condensed milk, melted butter, essence and water, beat well.
Bake in oven at 200 degrees C for 10 mins then reduce temp to 150 degrees C and bake for a further 10 mins
Cake is ready when it leaves the sides of tin and is springy to touch
post #2220 of 23161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

Hi guys - I will be back in the UK in the first week of August, and was trying to find a decent cake design/decorating class or two...any theme or subject really (intermediate to advanced flowers, royal icing piping, decorative techniques etc). I only really want 1 or 2 days. I will be in Lincolnshire but can travel no problem. Does anyone know of any? Preferably without spending 995 GBP at LVCC or Peggy Porschen's academy!! Anyway they have no courses worthwhile in August...

Or maybe I can see about setting up a one on one with someone uber-professional for a couple of hundred quid. Ideas? Or have any of you done this?

Thanks in advance!



Check out the local college! Also the sugarcraft guild in your area might have suggestions or a club you can join. We have them all over East Anglia.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cupcakes!
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cupcakes! › A Thread for all UK bakers!!