Okay, it took me awhile, but I finally was able to test this issue. I made a batch using Karo syrup and then made another batch using the store brand of syrup and got the same results...no problems whatsoever. I used Crisco in my recipe, so I am totally clueless with this problem.
There is a side note that I would like to add. I do not want to offend anyone, but I have come to feel that you all are a part of my extended family. I have been diagnosed with having melanoma, and recently had my second surgery for it. The doctors think that it may have spread, so I am scheduled to undergo even more tests and possibly more surgeries. For those of you who believe in prayer, please keep me and my family in your prayers.