Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › How Do I? › baking in a Pyrex bowl????
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

baking in a Pyrex bowl????

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
I am going to attempt to make a fire helmet cake. But I've never made a cake in a Pyrex bowl before. How much batter do I put in it (how high do I fill it) ? Any special instructions for baking in a bowl? Thanks.
"My friends are my estate."
Emily Dickinson
Reply
"My friends are my estate."
Emily Dickinson
Reply
post #2 of 18
The same as using a pan, grease it well and fill it 2/3 full. Oh yeah, make sure the bowl isn't really cold (like out of the fridge or something) when you put it in the preheated over, room temp is fine, Happy baking!!
post #3 of 18
I agree. Grease/flour it well, fill about 2/3 full (or even a little fuller). If your batter is especially dense, you may need a metal tube to help it bake evenly (like what comes with the doll pan), but I usually don't worry about that too much and mine come out fine. In fact, I have completely given up on my doll cake pan and am strictly using my small and large batter bowls from Pampered Chef, as they are made by Pyrex and they work just fine.

Lots of Luck and post your pics!!!
The Client doesn't generally understand the creative process we go through to make them a gorgeous confection ... it really IS more than "just" butter, eggs, and flour!
Reply
The Client doesn't generally understand the creative process we go through to make them a gorgeous confection ... it really IS more than "just" butter, eggs, and flour!
Reply
post #4 of 18
Thread Starter 
Thanks so much - don't know what I'd do without you guys!
"My friends are my estate."
Emily Dickinson
Reply
"My friends are my estate."
Emily Dickinson
Reply
post #5 of 18
Are you all speaking of the clear glass Pyrex bowls?
Cut And Keep Eating!, LLC
"After all, it's just cake!"
Reply
Cut And Keep Eating!, LLC
"After all, it's just cake!"
Reply
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by aobodessa

I agree. Grease/flour it well, fill about 2/3 full (or even a little fuller). If your batter is especially dense, you may need a metal tube to help it bake evenly (like what comes with the doll pan), but I usually don't worry about that too much and mine come out fine. In fact, I have completely given up on my doll cake pan and am strictly using my small and large batter bowls from Pampered Chef, as they are made by Pyrex and they work just fine.

Lots of Luck and post your pics!!!



Hi,

Do you mean grease and then flour? OR either one?

I am going to bake a b'day cake soon and i am also thinking of using a bowl. How are you know at what temperature and how long to bake the cake for?
post #7 of 18
I baked in a pyrex bowl a few weeks ago. I just sprayed heavily with Pam and it came out perfect. It did take FOREVER to bake, I tried using the flower nail in the bottom of the bowl but still came out just undone in the middle and started to get crispy on the top edges, so a metal core would probably help better.
Keep the oven temp low too - 325 or less.
post #8 of 18
For taller cakes I pop the flower nail in the bottom, then after about 10-15 minutes of baking drop one on top too. This works for really deep cakes. Remove top nail, flip, remove bottom nail. But the pyrex bowls do take forever to bake. My doll pan from Wilton doesn't get used anymore either.

Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness never shopped in my bakery.

Reply

Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness never shopped in my bakery.

Reply
post #9 of 18
what's going on with the doll pan???? how come it is not working for you all???? are these just regular glass bowls you are using..or are they made special for the oven???
If at first you don't succeed...just eat the cake and try again!!!
Reply
If at first you don't succeed...just eat the cake and try again!!!
Reply
post #10 of 18
I use the 2 qt batter bowl from Pampered Chef. It is about the same shape and size as the doll pan with a few subtle differences. The top of the skirt is a bit wider, so I make a mini sports ball and set that on top then stick Barbie in it. That makes it just the right height for Barbie's waist. I like using Barbie's instead of the doll pick. Just a personal preference. The other thing I've done is stick an 8" round at the bottom of the skirt so the cake is tall enough, then the top of the skirt is flatter and perfect for a Cinderella dress. I don't think either of the pans are tall enough, but with the doll pan the top of the skirt is too narrow to revamp and make it the right height without a ton of icing which slips off the cake the minute your customer goes down the road with it. Just my take on things.

Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness never shopped in my bakery.

Reply

Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness never shopped in my bakery.

Reply
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookster

what's going on with the doll pan???? how come it is not working for you all???? are these just regular glass bowls you are using..or are they made special for the oven???



Corning Ware or Pyrex bowls are specially made to take the heat of an oven, so, no, they're not "just regular glass bowls". The ones I use in the oven to make a doll skirt are Anchor Hocking I believe, and they are much thicker than a normal casserole bowl. They're designed to go in the oven.

aizuodangao, I grease and flour my bowls/pans one of two ways: 1) with a brush, take shortening and brush a thin layer over all interior surfaces; put flour into the pan, roll, pat, turn, and shake the flour over the entire greased surface until it is all floured; shake out the excess flour. 2) spray the interior of the bowl/pan with a non-stick spray that doesn't have flour in it until the surface is completely moist. As with the first method, flour the surface until completely coated with flour, shake out the excess.

I like to make certain that every nook, cranny, crack and crevice is completely greased and floured so that I don't have any problems with my cakes releasing from the pan after they are baked.

I hope these tips help.
The Client doesn't generally understand the creative process we go through to make them a gorgeous confection ... it really IS more than "just" butter, eggs, and flour!
Reply
The Client doesn't generally understand the creative process we go through to make them a gorgeous confection ... it really IS more than "just" butter, eggs, and flour!
Reply
post #12 of 18
aizuodangao,
that's grease THEN flour the pyrex bowl...or just grease the bowl. The flour coats the grease and then you can see if you have missed any spots with the grease. The flour doesn't actually help unstick the cake. The grease then flour trick is most helpful with character pans that have lots of nooks and crannies to grease...it helps make sure it's well covered
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthiberge

aizuodangao,
that's grease THEN flour the pyrex bowl...or just grease the bowl. The flour coats the grease and then you can see if you have missed any spots with the grease. The flour doesn't actually help unstick the cake. The grease then flour trick is most helpful with character pans that have lots of nooks and crannies to grease...it helps make sure it's well covered



Thanks so much. ti's great to learn some trick to making cakes.
But what about chocolate cake though, the flour will show on the cake?
post #14 of 18
I use Wilton Cake Release (grease & flour combined in one bottle). It works great! I just squirt it all around the pan (or bowl) and smear it around with a plastic baggie on my hand. I made a chocolate cake in a Pyrex bowl and it came out just fine. I didn't use the flower nail in the bottom of the bowl, but it did take FOREVER before it was completely done. I'm using a Pyrex to make a "cauldron" for an After Halloween Fire party this weekend. This will also be my first attempt at fondant. Wish me luck!
Trust in God.
Believe in yourself.
Dare to Dream.
Reply
Trust in God.
Believe in yourself.
Dare to Dream.
Reply
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerang

I use Wilton Cake Release (grease & flour combined in one bottle). It works great! I just squirt it all around the pan (or bowl) and smear it around with a plastic baggie on my hand. I made a chocolate cake in a Pyrex bowl and it came out just fine. I didn't use the flower nail in the bottom of the bowl, but it did take FOREVER before it was completely done. I'm using a Pyrex to make a "cauldron" for an After Halloween Fire party this weekend. This will also be my first attempt at fondant. Wish me luck!



I have never heard of Wilton Cake Release. Don't think we can get as many wilton products here in OZ. I may be wrong. How long did it take you to make the chocolate cake in pyrex bowl? what size and temperature? sorry to ask.........the more i think about this, the more i think i may not attempt a pyrex bowl cake now........sounds too difficult

good luck in your next cake. please post the cake when you finish. love to lok at it icon_smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: How Do I?
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › How Do I? › baking in a Pyrex bowl????