[quote="chleonard"]i tried a simple syrup for the first time this past weekend. i brushed it on both sides of the cake with a silicone pastry brush, and then wrapped it in saran and stuck it in the fridge overnight.
the next night when i was ready to start filling and stacking the cakes, i had a gooey outside layer of each cake. the syrup didnt' penetrate. i literally scraped a coating of wet cake off of each cake.
what did i do wrong with the syrup?[/quote]
The way I do it is when I am ready to fill, stack and decorate the cake. You don't have to put in the fridge. Maybe the wrapping made the cake gooey.
This is how I do it:
1. I bake the day or 2 days before, wrap in plastic wrap and put it away in a cool place.
2. The next day or days, I take the cakes out of their wrappers, and tort them.
3. Then I place the first layer on the covered cakeboard and wet it with a pastry brush. When you've wet it, slightly press it with your finger to feel it and make sure the cake is wet enough to your liking.
4. Then fill the layer. Grab the next layer, put it on top and then repeat the wetting procedure.
5. When done with the first tier, ice it and put to the side.
6. Repeat with the other layers. So, its soak, fill, soak, and then ice.