Posted by AnonymousThis recipe is vegan as written, meaning it contains no animal products. It is considered a white cake, but usually does not turn out looking "white." It can also be altered to nearly any flavor by changing the liquid. It could even be made into a chocolate cake (by adding 1 cup cocoa powder, reducing flour by 1/2 cup, and using chocolate soymilk as the liquid) although I have never tried this. I have used this cake several times for wedding cakes and it its quite stable. It is a moist cake that is easy to work with and decorate. Flax seeds are not absolutely necessary, but using them produces better results and can be ground in a blender or clean coffee grinder.
- ? 3 ½ cups Flour ? 2 teaspoon Baking Soda ? ¼ teaspoon Salt (try this amount, can go to 1/2) ? 2 cup Vegan Sugar (some sugars are processed with animal bones and are not vegan. sucanat, turbinado, unrefined cane sugars are all ok.) ? ½ cup Vegan Margarine (Earth Balance Margarine is best) ? 3 T Applesauce ? 1 T ground Flax Seeds and water ? 2 cups liquid (I like ½ Soymilk, ½ clear, not-too-sweet, carbonated beverage/water, or thin fruit puree/juice, or all 3) ? 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract ? ½ teaspoon Almond Extract or other flavoring (optional) ? 3 tablespoon White Vinegar
- 1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease and
- flour cake pan(s) or line with parchment.
- 2) Sift together first three ingredients (Dry?s).
- 3) Cream together sugar and margarine. Add apple sauce
- and flax seeds.
- 4) Mix together all other ingredients (Wet's) except vinegar.
- 5) Alternate mixing Dry's and Wet's into sugar mixture,
- starting and ending with Dry's.
- 6) Right before putting into the oven, gently mix the
- vinegar into the batter and pour into cake pan(s) using
- slightly less that recommended amounts for each pan.
- 7) Bake for 35-45 minutes or until cakes test done (toothpick
- test or other).
- Vegan and yummy!