Posted by autobuni
MOIST Vanilla Cake
- 2C sugar 1/2C butter 2 egg yolks 2C All purpose flour 1t. baking soda 1C LF Buttermilk 3t. vanilla (or whatever) 6 egg whites *Optional* 3/4C chopped nuts *If flavoring "almond", I use 2t. almond extract and 1 t. vanilla*
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Prepare (2) 9" pans. Either line with paper and crisco or cake release or spray with Pam. I always at least line the bottoms to make easy release.
- Combine sugar and butter in a mixer. Add egg yolks one at a time.
- In a seperate bowl, combine flour and baking soda.
- Measure out Buttermilk.
- Beginning and ending with flour mixture, alternate with buttermilk until mixed. Add vanilla and mix. Add nuts at this time if using. Transfer back to bowl.
- Wisk egg whites until stiff peaks form. (If using the same mixing bowl, make sure it is COMPLETLEY washed and DRY! - the egg whites will not take if there is moisture in the bowl)
- Fold into batter.
- Bake for 23 minutes if using both pans. If doubling, it will fit into 1/2 sheet perfectly. For this, I increase the time to about 40 minutes.