Posted by purplepassionThis is the only cakes I make for special occasions. It is a never fail one that is indestructible. It can be frozen for months ahead so always have one on hand to decorated. Can use any type pan.
Mock Angel food
- 2 cups cake flour 2 cups grandulated sugar 2 tsp. baking powder 1 tsp. salt 1 cup boiling water 6 egg whites (room temp) 1 tsp. cream tartar 1 tsp. almond flavoring 1 tsp. vanilla flavoring (white)
- Mix flour and sugar in a bowl. Add the cup of boiling water and beat this well, let this mixture cool (I usually put in fridge to cool). Add baking powder & salt beat well.
- Beat egg whites til very stiff with cream tartar.
- Fold the flour/sugar mixture into the egg whites add flavorings.
- Put in a NON-GREASED pan. Bake on bottom rack in oven. 350 for 30 minutes. Flip pan over on cooling rack cool 15 mins then run a knife around edges to loosen then gently pull the cake out of the pan and finish cooling on rack.
- This is a great tasting cake and never fails to raise evenly. I have made hundreds of these and easy to have on hand, infact it is better tasting a week after you make it. enjoy!