Posted by auntbeesbakingI got this recipe from another website from Donna. The only thing I would add to her introduction, is that this is a very "light" (not heavy) and not sickingly sweet frosting. It reminds me of silk and is very easy to use. I have added other things to it to change the flavor (i.e. cocoa for chocolate frosting, cream cheese for cream cheese frosting). This is the best buttercream icing I have ever tasted. I used it for my daughter's wedding cake. I made a double batch, which was enough to ice, border, and pipe small decorations on the sides of the cake for a 14" x 10" x 6" tiered cake. I think the whipping cream is the secret to making this icing special.
Extra Special Buttercream Icing Recipe
- 1 cup butter 1 cup vegetable shortening 2 lbs powdered sugar (8 cups) 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 tablespoon meringue powder (optional) 1 teaspoon clear vanilla 1 teaspoon almond extract 1/2-1 teaspoon clear butter flavoring 4-6 ounces whipping cream Wilton?s White White cake color (for very white; no ivory color) For other flavors, may add cocoa for chocolate frosting and softened cream cheese for cream cheese frosting.
- Cream butter and shortening until fluffy.
- Add sugar, meringue powder, about half of the cream, and continue creaming until well blended.
- Add salt, flavorings and enough whipping cream to make the consistency you need.
- Beat at medium speed until icing is fluffy.
- You may substitute all shortening for the butter, which will give a pure white icing, but the flavor will not be quite as good.
- The meringue powder gives the icing a light crust, but it remains soft underneath.
- This is a good icing for beginners, practice or "informal" cakes.
- Changes for a wedding cake
- add 1/2 tsp. extra meringue powder (for a stronger foundation to decorate on), more flavoring, 1/2 tsp. extra of each
- If very white icing is desired, use Wilton's White White Icing Dye, it "bleaches" out the ivory color.