Posted by Lina_ChristiThis coconut loaf, better known in the caribbean as 'sweet bread', is extremely popular as it has a great, unique taste.
Caribbean Coconut Loaf
- 4 cups self raising flour 2 cups grated coconut (approx 3/4 of a package or 1 small dried cocnut) 1 cup shortening or margarine (softened) 1 cup granulated sugar 1 cup warm water or milk 1 tsp vanilla/mixed essence 1 tsp almond essence (optional) 1 tsp ground cinnamon 1 tsp ground spice 1 tsp nutmeg (optional) raisins (approx 1 small handful) (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees f and grease 1 large or 2 small loaf pans with shortening.
- 2. Gather ingredients together in large bowl and using your hands, mix together well until batter is firm but sticky.
- 3. Fill baking pans and sprinkle with white sugar. Mixture should fill 3/4 of baking pan.
- 4. Bake approx 45 mins or until top of bread has begun to look brown