Posted by antonia74This icing is mixed to a stiff consistency for outlining cookies, then can be thinned with warm water to fill in the cookie shape. I like to dry my cookies for at least 24 hours...and up to 48 hours before packaging them. This icing can be kept at room temperature in an air-sealed container for literally weeks, with a good re-mixing before you use it again. I haven't had great results with keeping it in the fridge...but un-tinted icing (i.e. white) seems to be okay from the freezer.
Antonia74 Royal Icing
- 6 oz (3/4 cup) of warm water 5 Tablespoons meringue powder 1 teaspoon cream of tartar 1 kilogram (2.25 lbs.) powdered icing sugar
- In mixer bowl, pour in the warm water and the meringue powder. Mix it with a whisk by hand until it is frothy and thickened...about 30 seconds.
- Add the cream of tartar and mix for 30 seconds more.
- Pour in all the icing sugar at once and place the bowl on the mixer.
- Using the paddle attachment on the LOWEST speed, mix slowly for a full 10 minutes. Icing will get thick and creamy.
- Cover the bowl with a dampened tea-towel to prevent crusting and drying.
- Tint with food colourings or thin the icing with small amounts of warm water to reach the desired consistency.