Moist apple cake with only the natural goodness of apples for sweetener. Great for kids and people watching their refined sugar intake.
Sugar Free Applesauce Cake
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 cups ground almonds
- 2 Macintosh apples – peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened apple butter
- 2 tablespoons frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour one 9 inch square baking pan.
2 Beat the eggs until they drop like ribbons from the beaters. Continue beating and add the oil in a thin stream. Beat in the 1 cup applesauce and the 1 cup unsweetened apple juice concentrate.
3 Beat in the flour gradually until well blended. Add the baking soda, ground ginger, ground almonds and apples, mix to combine.
4 Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 40 minutes or until the cake tests done. Let cake cool on a rack for 15 minutes before turning out of pan. Cool completely before frosting.
5 Carefully slice the cake in half horizontally with a long serrated knife. Fill and frost with Apple Butter Frosting.
6 To Make Apple Butter Frosting: Beat the cream cheese until soft and fluffy. Gradually beat in the apple butter and remaining 2 tablespoons apple juice concentrate.