I have a stepfather who is a chocoholic and lactose intolerant. This works for him.
Non-Dairy Chocolate Cake with German Chocolate Frosting
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 2/3 cup applesauce
- 1 1/4 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 quart soy milk
- 1 cup barley malt syrup
- 2 cups brown rice syrup
- 5 tablespoons egg substitute
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 (10.5 ounce) package crumbled firm silken tofu
- 1 1/2 pounds flaked coconut
- 3 cups chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons arrowroot powder
1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 10-inch round cake pans.
2 In a large bowl sift together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, soda, and cocoa.
3 In another bowl mix the brown sugar, oil, 1 cup water, maple syrup, applesauce, vinegar, and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared pans.
4 Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 40 minutes.
5 Cool and frost with Non-Dairy German Chocolate Frosting. To make frosting: scald soy milk, barley malt syrup, and brown rice syrup.
6 Mix egg substitute and 1/4 cup water until foamy. Add to milk and syrup mixture and cook until thickened.
7 Blend tofu in food processor until smooth and add to thickened syrup mixture with coconut, pecans, and arrowroot. Cook for 2 minutes and remove from heat. Cool.
No Comments Yet
Login To Leave A Comment