I developed this chocolate recipe as a result of needing a crusting chocolate that could withstand the Texas heat. After I started a thread about ways to use Indydebi’s recipe to make a chocolate frosting, I have experimented with the different ingredients and have come up with a frosting that I love. So yummy I can eat spoonfuls at a time. Sinful to the waistline! Easy to smooth and crusts beautifully!
Crusting Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup Crisco
- 3/4 cup chocolate milk (I use white milk with Hershey Syrup added in)
- 1 heaping tsp instant coffee (added to the chocolate milk)
- 3 Tbsp powdered Dreamwhip
- 2 lb minus 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- Cream together the butter and Crisco. Add the cup of cocoa powder and Dreamwhip and mix until smooth. Then add the powdered sugar and milk mixture slowly to avoid the splash factor. I usually beat it all a good 5-10 minutes or until very smooth.
- (If I am making a cake that will sit outdoors in the heat, I use all Crisco. Otherwise, I use the butter and Crisco.)