This is my variation of a great tasting cake. Please enjoy and send comments.
Italian Creme Cake
- Italian Creme Cake
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup Crisco
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ vanilla bean pod seeded. Or I have used approx. teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup shaved coconut fermented with coconut rum
Cream Cheese frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- ½ cup sweet butter at room temperature
- 4 cups shifted confection sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon cream. ( I use regular whipping cream if cream isnt available)
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- ½ cup chopped walnuts. ( use imagination with this. I do something totally on the edge with mine to add a different taste)
- 1. Prepare 3 nine inch round pans with bakers secret spray. Add baking soda in buttermilk in a small bowl.
- 2. In another bowl, mix flour and baking powder.
- 3. Cream the softened butter, shortening and sugar until fluffy. (My kitchen Aid mixer is 4 minutes). Add eggs one at a time till just incorporated. Then add the vanilla.
- 4. Alternately, mix the buttermilk mixture with the flour mixture until it is incorporated. Stir in the coconut. Pour into the pans.
- 5. Bake 350 degrees in preheated oven for 30 minutes or when toothpick comes clean when inserted in middle. Set aside to cool on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and set to cool additional time on rack.
- 6. For the Frosting: Mix cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Once incorporated, slowly add the shifted sugar until light and fluffy. Add the cream to make a smooth texture to spread. Stir in walnuts and coconut.
sounds so darn good! Can't wait to try this one :) yummy
enjoy...and do consider the coconuts in rum. :)
I have wanted to try this cake and am wondering if I leave out the coconuts or would this mess up texture?
leaving out the coconuts will be fine. I have ground up coconut in my processor when I have made my mango, pineapple, coconut pie and the frosting in the layers on my German's chocolate cake. I put pecan and coconut pieces on the sides where those that don't like coconuts can remove. I need to try it though. Thank you for your question.
Looks great. I've made this recipe many times, and it is the one people always want. I love the idea of rum infused coconut. Every tried dark rum, or do you prefer the coconut rum? Biggest question, is why the baking powder in the buttermilk? That is a new one for me. I've always used only the baking soda? Thanks!
how long do you infuse your coconut for in the rum?
The coconut if going on sweetened and soaked, then 30 minutes is my taste. A different way is to toast the coconut, but then I soak it after they toasted to lighten the texture. Experiment with your taste and let me know what you did to make it better than mine. :-)
This cake was GOOD! I usually don't like things with coconuts, but love this cake. I did use my own icing recipe, but I am sure this one would be great too.
Thank you very much kagsw.
Is this cake sturdy enough for fondant?
I made this cake this weekend and it was a huuuuuge hit!!! Thanks so much for posting it!
Login To Leave A Comment