This is my variation of a great tasting cake. Please enjoy and send comments.
Italian Creme Cake
- Italian Creme Cake
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup Crisco
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ vanilla bean pod seeded. Or I have used approx. teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup shaved coconut fermented with coconut rum
Cream Cheese frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- ½ cup sweet butter at room temperature
- 4 cups shifted confection sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon cream. ( I use regular whipping cream if cream isnt available)
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- ½ cup chopped walnuts. ( use imagination with this. I do something totally on the edge with mine to add a different taste)
- 1. Prepare 3 nine inch round pans with bakers secret spray. Add baking soda in buttermilk in a small bowl.
- 2. In another bowl, mix flour and baking powder.
- 3. Cream the softened butter, shortening and sugar until fluffy. (My kitchen Aid mixer is 4 minutes). Add eggs one at a time till just incorporated. Then add the vanilla.
- 4. Alternately, mix the buttermilk mixture with the flour mixture until it is incorporated. Stir in the coconut. Pour into the pans.
- 5. Bake 350 degrees in preheated oven for 30 minutes or when toothpick comes clean when inserted in middle. Set aside to cool on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and set to cool additional time on rack.
- 6. For the Frosting: Mix cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Once incorporated, slowly add the shifted sugar until light and fluffy. Add the cream to make a smooth texture to spread. Stir in walnuts and coconut.