A friend of mine got this recipe off the internet (I don’t have the original source, sorry) and asked me to make them for her. I modified the buttercream recipe (went from 12 oz marscapone to 8 oz, and 2 cups of sugar to 4) to make it more stable for frosting. There are several steps involved, but it’s absolutely worth it!
Tiramisu with Marscapone Buttercream
- For cupcakes:
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1-1/4 sticks (10 tbsp) unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
For espresso extract:
- 2 tbsp instant espresso powder
- 2 tbsp boiling water
For espresso syrup:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp Kahlua
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter, room temp
- 8 oz marscapone cheese, room temp
- 4 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp Kahlua
- To make cupcake:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line cupcake pan with liners.
- Sift cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a flat beater, beat butter until creamy. Add sugar and mix to combine.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating for about 1 minute after each addition. Add vanilla.
- Gradually add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk in 2 additions, ending with the flour mixture.
- Mix until flour just incorporated into batter.
- Fill cupcake liners about 1/2- 3/4 full and bake for about 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle
- comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
- To make espresso extract:
- In a small bowl, stir espresso powder and boiling water together until blended. Set aside.
- To make espresso syrup:
- In a small saucepan, combine water and sugar together and bring just to a boil. Pour syrup into small bowl and stir
- in 1 tbsp of espresso extract and Kahlua. Set aside.
- To assemble cupcakes:
- Poke holes in cupcakes with a fork or toothpick. Spoon about 1-2 tsp of espresso syrup over each cupcake.
- (Let syrup soak in a little at a time before you add more or it will overflow.) Using a large round tip (I used a star tip)
- pipe frosting over cupcake and sprinkle with cocoa powder.
- For frosting:
- Beat butter and marscapone cheese until light and creamy. Add sugar and continue beating until smooth. Frosting can be
- made several days ahead of time and stored lightly covered in the refrigerator. Bring to room temp before frosting