This is a recipe that I have modified to make very low fat whilst I was dieting. It is high in sugar though so it won’t suit every diet so use the sugar substitute if you prefer.
Low Fat Date & Walnut Loaf
- 8 ozs Chopped dates
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 7 fl ozs boiling water
- 8 ozs Plain Flour
- 1 oz Margarine (Soft or Hard)
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 6 ozs granulated sugar (Although I have tested this recipe with cup
- for cup sugar substitute and it worked lovely)
- 2 ozs Chopped walnuts
- 1 size 3 (medium) egg
- 1. Preheat oven to 180oC. Line and grease Loaf tin(s).
- 2. First put chopped dates into a large microwave jug. Add bicarbonate of soda to boiling water and pour over dates. Microwave for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes or until soft and mushy.
- 3. While this is doing rub margarine into flour. Add baking powder sugar and walnuts and mix.
- 4. Add date mixture and mix to just incorporate the flour and add egg. Do not over mix. Immediately transfer to 2 greased and lined 1lb loaf tins or 1 x 2lb loaf tin. Bake for 45 to 55 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
This is lovely served with butter but that defeats the diet. My family love this even though they aren’t on a diet.
No Comments Yet
Login To Leave A Comment