This Lemon filling is great for pies, cakes, cookies and donuts…
JaimeAnn’s Best lemon Filling
- 1&1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1&1/2 cups water
- 3 egg yolks slightly beaten
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 3 teaspoons lemon rind
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Mix sugar & cornstarch in medium saucepan, gradually stir in water
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly till mixture comes to a full boil.
- Boil & stir 1-2 minutes. Gradually stir at least half of hot mixture into egg yolks.
- Blend it back into the pan. Boil & stir 2-3 minutes. ( if you don’t your filling
- will taste eggy). Remove from heat add butter lemon rind and lemon juice, mix well. Cool before using as cake filling , if using as pie filling you can pour it into a baked pie crust immediately. It works great as a donut filling and for thumbprint cookies..
If used for filling, would the cake need to be refridgerated?
I wonder if the butter is necessary, or maybe could be reduced. The buttery taste came through on my batch, which to me is less desirable, but otherwise it is a very easy and nice recipe that I will use again!
This recipe is AWESOME! I added extra lemon zest and it turned out perfectly! I love this recipe and will make it part of my regular rotation! THANKS JaimeAnne!
This was an easy recipe. Very good. My family loved it!! Thanks JamieAnne!
Fabulous lemon flavor. Easy to make. Thanks, JaimeAnn, for sharing:)
Login To Leave A Comment