This is a recipe from Mary Lincoln’s personal cook book. And Abarham Lincolns favorite cake.
Some cool info
-Mary never iced it
-Mary usualy served the cake with strawberrys
I did a research for my history class on Lincoln and accidentally found this recipe and thought I’d share it.
Mrs.Lincoln’s personal recipe for White cake (Abarham Lincoln’s wifes)
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cup of sugar
- 3 cup of flour
- 2 teaspoons of backing powder
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup chopped blanched almonds
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- cram the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Sift together flour and backing powder, remove 2 tablespoons and set aside. Add sifted ingredients, altering with milk, to creamed mixture. Combine almonds with reserved flour and add to batter.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, add salt. Fold into batter. Pour into greased and floured tube pan. Bake at 375 degrees until a cake tester comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Cool about 5-10 minutes; remove from pan and finish cooling on rack.