The following red velvet cupcake recipe is not my own, it’s from the book Cupcakes from the Cake Doctor. It’s divine and I’ve been told it was better than Sprinkles red velvet cupcake. WHOA!
I did not use the white chocolate peppermint cream cheese frosting as suggested in the book. Instead I made a regular cream cheese frosting (with pure vanilla) and topped it with finely chopped pecans…so very scrumptious!!
RED VELVET CUPCAKES
- 1 pckg (18.25 ounces) plain German chocolate cake mix
- 1 pckg (3.4 ounces) vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 cp sour cream
- 1/2 cp water
- 1/2 cp vegetable oil
- 1 bottle (1 ounce) red food coloring
- 3 large eggs
- Fold in:
- 1 cp miniature semisweet chocolate chips after mixing other ingredients.
- Place the cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, water, oil, food coloring, and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping down the sides again if needed. The batter should look thick and well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. Spook or scoop 1/3 cp batter into each lined cupcake, filling it three quarters of the way full. And bake 350 deg.