I started making this because I was tired of cooking and stirring egg whites for icing. The taste and texture is nearly identical to Swiss or Italian meringue icing and everyone Ive made it for loves it. In addition to a mixer, a blender or food processor is necessary for this recipe.
Easy No-Cook Meringue Icing
- 5 tablespoons meringue powder
- 1 cup hot water
- 21/3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups butter
- 2 tablespoons vanilla or other flavoring
- 1. Take butter out of the refrigerator to soften slightly just before beginning.
- 2. Briefly run a blender or food processor with some hot water and vinegar to remove any traces of fat and then rinse out the blender or processor.
- 3. Blend 1 cup of hot water and sugar together until the sugar is completely dissolved. This only takes a minute or so in my Vita-Mix blender but may take a bit longer in a regular processor or blender.
- 4. Add the meringue powder and blend until mixed thoroughly.
- 5. Pour the mixture into a mixer fitted with a wire beater. Beat on high until stiff peaks form. Continue beating until the mixing bowl feels close to room temperature; this may take a while.
- 6. Change to the paddle beater and continue mixing on medium speed while adding the butter, one tablespoon at a time. The mixture will turn soupy and then curdled and then will come together a little while after adding all of the butter. When the correct consistency is reached, the sound of the mixer will change to something like a slapping sound.
- 7. Turn the mixer to low and add the flavoring. Mix until it is incorporated into the icing.