This was in response to the poster wanting Creme Brulee filling for a cake. It is a jump off from a pineapple upside down cake I have made for years. The icing and filling is a variation on a Buttercream.
Dynee’s Creme Brulee Cake
- Pan preparation
- 4 T. butter 2/3 C. dark brown sugar
- 2 T. Water
- Whole Egg Butter Cream (adapted from Cupcake Cafe cookbook)
- 2 C. sugar ½ C. Water
- 3 eggs at room temperature 1 ¼ pounds unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Melt butter in saucepan and stir in brown sugar and water. Bring to a boil take off heat and set aside. When cool, divide equally between two 8 inch cake pans.
- Mix your favorite yellow butter cake batter as directed ( I used Duncan Hines Yellow Butter cake but added ½ C sour cream and used milk instead of water). Carefully spoon batter over sugar syrup and bake as directed for cake. When done, cool in pans on wire rack for 15 minutes then invert one layer on rack, the other invert directly onto the cake board. Fill with Whole Egg Butter Cream or Vanilla SMBC or pastry cream. Carefully plop top layer over filling syrup side down and ice as desired.
- Icing Directions:
- Combine sugar and water, bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Cover 5 minutes. Insert candy thermometer and bring syrup to 236F without stirring. Beat eggs a bit, then add sugar syrup a bit at a time letting it run down the side of the beater bowl and beating thoroughly after each addition. Cover and let cool to room temperature. Make sure there is no heat left in mixture. Add butter, to the egg goop a bit at a time until its all incorporated. Add vanilla. If it will not stiffen up, you may need to put the bowl in the refrigerator for half an hour of so and then finish beating. This makes a very yellow icing that seemed to take candy colors better than SMBC( I wouldnt try any color that doesnt have yellow in it). If you want it lighter, you could mix a batch of SMBC and mix it together for a cream color. I was able to pipe with it after it cooled a bit.
A bundle of cholesterol and fat.