This pure white icing is especially suited for decorating wedding cakes. It covers well, tints to clear and true colors(these will match the hues of royal icing flowers) and pipes clear borders and flowers for the tops of tiers. Flowers dried overnight can be handled and if not too heavy, can be attached to the sides of cake.
- 2/3 cup water
- 4 tablespoons meringue powder
- 1 1/4 cups solid white vegetable shortening, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1/2 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla
- 4 cups + 7 1/2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- Combine water and meringue powder and whip at high speed until peaks form. Add four cups sugar, one cup at a time, beating at low speed after each addition. Alternately add shortening and remainder of sugar. Add flavorings and beat at low speed until smooth. This icing may be stored, well-covered, in the refrigerator for several weeks, then brought to room temperature and rebeaten. Thin with two teaspoons of white corn syrup per cup of icing for leaves and strings. Recipe may be cut in half or doubled. It is best to use a heavy duty stand mixer as this is a decorator icing.