Rolled buttercream icing is a softer covering than rolled fondant. It is also more shiny, which may not be appropriate for all wedding cakes.
Rolled Buttercream stands up to heat, and keeps well in the refrigerator if tightly wrapped. Cakes covered with rolled buttercream can be decorated with royal or buttercream icing.
Enough to cover a 10″ x 4″ high cake
Rolled Buttercream Icing
1 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 2 pounds confectioners (powdered) sugar (7 – 8 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon popcorn salt (fine grain salt)
- Place shortening and corn syrup in mixing bowl and beat until creamy. Add flavorings and salt. Beat until blended. Add confectioners sugar and blend thoroughly. The mixture will be very stiff. Place icing on work surface and knead until smooth and well blended.
- Store icing in sealed plastic bag then place bag in airtight container. Icing can be refrigerated for several weeks or frozen for several months.
- Additional Information:
- Bring to room temperature before using.
- * I add more confectioner’s sugar….So Keep Kneading!!
- ** Of course add the color paste you desire!