This is one of my very most popular cake flavors. I’ve never had a bride taste it and not order it. One said her southern grandmother has been making her RV for her birthday every year all her life; when she tasted this, she said, “Oh! Grandma is SO fired.” Enjoy!
Chef Stef’s southern red velvet cake
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 ts baking soda
- 1 ts salt
- 1 ts cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temp
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 2 TB (1 oz) red food coloring
- 1 ts white vinegar
- 1 ts vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly oil and flour (or line bottom with parchment) two 8″ round pans. (although I usually do 1.5 x the recipe for two 8″ actually).
- Sift all dry ingredients together into stand mixer bowl. In another bowl whisk together all wet ingredients. Using paddle attachment and low speed, blend the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Divide between cake pans and bake until tester inserted in center comes out clean. I never use recipe times, but the original said 30 minutes for 9″ pans.