I got this recipe on-line. Many suggestions to cut the oil or sugar. I reduced the oil slightly, added applesauce to the recipe, did not use raisins, made sure nuts where finely chopped. Have had nothing but good comments. And the taste is great as well as the texture. The right texture for carving, as long as no raisins are added and the nuts a chopped finely.
Best Ever Carrot Cake
- 6 Cups grated Carrots/ 1 1/2 Cup brown sugar / 4 Eggs/ 1 Cups white sugar/
- 3/4 Cup vegatable oil/ 2 Teaspoons vanilla extract/ 1 Cup crushed pineapple. (blended well)/ 1/2 Cup apple sauce
- 3 Cups all purpose flour/ 1 1/2 Teaspons baking soda/ 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 4 Teaspoons ground Cinnamon
- (Optional) 1 Cup Chopped Walnuts / 1 Cup Raisins
- 1) In a medium bowl, combine grated carrots and 3/4 cups of brown sugar. Set aside for 60 min.. After 1 hr, drain the carrots and squeeze them dry. try to get them as dry as possible.
- 2) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) Grease and Flour two 10 inch cake pans.
- 3) In a larg bowl beat eggs until light, gragually beat in white sugar, then remaining brown sugar, oil and vanilla. Stire in the applesauce and pineapple. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and Cinnamon. Stir into the wet mixture until absorbed. Finally stir in the carrots and the optional ingredients (if you desire these) Pour evenly into prepared pans.
- 4) Bake for 45 to 50 minutes in at 350 degrees., until cake tests done with toothpick. Cool for 10 mins before removing from pan, When cool frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.