I got this recipe on-line. Many suggestions to cut the oil or sugar. I reduced the oil slightly, added applesauce to the recipe, did not use raisins, made sure nuts where finely chopped. Have had nothing but good comments. And the taste is great as well as the texture. The right texture for carving, as long as no raisins are added and the nuts a chopped finely.
Best Ever Carrot Cake
- 6 Cups grated Carrots/ 1 1/2 Cup brown sugar / 4 Eggs/ 1 Cups white sugar/
- 3/4 Cup vegatable oil/ 2 Teaspoons vanilla extract/ 1 Cup crushed pineapple. (blended well)/ 1/2 Cup apple sauce
- 3 Cups all purpose flour/ 1 1/2 Teaspons baking soda/ 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 4 Teaspoons ground Cinnamon
- (Optional) 1 Cup Chopped Walnuts / 1 Cup Raisins
- 1) In a medium bowl, combine grated carrots and 3/4 cups of brown sugar. Set aside for 60 min.. After 1 hr, drain the carrots and squeeze them dry. try to get them as dry as possible.
- 2) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) Grease and Flour two 10 inch cake pans.
- 3) In a larg bowl beat eggs until light, gragually beat in white sugar, then remaining brown sugar, oil and vanilla. Stire in the applesauce and pineapple. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and Cinnamon. Stir into the wet mixture until absorbed. Finally stir in the carrots and the optional ingredients (if you desire these) Pour evenly into prepared pans.
- 4) Bake for 45 to 50 minutes in at 350 degrees., until cake tests done with toothpick. Cool for 10 mins before removing from pan, When cool frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.
I made this last night just because I had been wanting carrot cake. I give it 10 stars. It was moist and very flavorful. The crumb is perfect and could certainly be used for a stacked cake. I left out the walnuts and raisins, but I think it would have been wonderful with them also. I frosted with a homemade cream cheese frosting. Thank you so much for sharing!
Could you tell me about how many cups of batter this makes? Sounds great I cant wait to try it!
About to give this a go for my twins' 2nd bday as one of the tiers. I'm hoping it is as good as it sounds because I have been searching for the best carrot cake ever! hehe. What does step one actually do? (The one that says to set carrots and brown sugar aside for one hour?) THANKS :-)
Login To Leave A Comment