I was on a mission to find a dark chocolate icing/filling like the ones they use on the Great American Cookie Company for their cookies. I wanted something melt in your mouth, as chocolaty as chocolate could be and this is what I have found. I needed something I could ice with but also as double as a filling.
It was a huge hit when I made my ovn version of a Great Big Cookie Cake. I even tried substituing half of the milk for Frangelios Hazelnut liquor… absolutely divine!! Hope you like it as much as I do.
Dark Chocolate Buttercream Icing/Filling
- 1/2 cup Shortening (or Hi-Ratio)
- 1/2 cup Butter (softened)
- 7 oz of Chocolate Squares (unsweetened)
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 pound Powdered Sugar
- 5 Tbsp milk OR
- 2 Tbsp Liquor and 3 Tbsp Milk or any ratio you want (opt)
- Melt the chocolate squares.
- Cream shortening and butter together.
- Add cooled chocolate and vanilla.
- Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating wel on medium speed.
- Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often.
- Icing will appear DRY
- Add liquids (milk or liquor) and beat until light and fluffy on med to high…
- or for smoother silker version on low for a longer duriation.
- ** Add 3-4 TBSP of light corn syrup to thin icing per recipe.
- Keep covered with damp cloth until ready to use.
Who cares… its delicious!!