I was on a mission to find a dark chocolate icing/filling like the ones they use on the Great American Cookie Company for their cookies. I wanted something melt in your mouth, as chocolaty as chocolate could be and this is what I have found. I needed something I could ice with but also as double as a filling.
It was a huge hit when I made my ovn version of a Great Big Cookie Cake. I even tried substituing half of the milk for Frangelios Hazelnut liquor… absolutely divine!! Hope you like it as much as I do.
Dark Chocolate Buttercream Icing/Filling
- 1/2 cup Shortening (or Hi-Ratio)
- 1/2 cup Butter (softened)
- 7 oz of Chocolate Squares (unsweetened)
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 pound Powdered Sugar
- 5 Tbsp milk OR
- 2 Tbsp Liquor and 3 Tbsp Milk or any ratio you want (opt)
- Melt the chocolate squares.
- Cream shortening and butter together.
- Add cooled chocolate and vanilla.
- Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating wel on medium speed.
- Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often.
- Icing will appear DRY
- Add liquids (milk or liquor) and beat until light and fluffy on med to high…
- or for smoother silker version on low for a longer duriation.
- ** Add 3-4 TBSP of light corn syrup to thin icing per recipe.
- Keep covered with damp cloth until ready to use.
Who cares… its delicious!!
I'm thinking about trying this recipe this week....sounds delicious. Do you know how much it makes (will it be enough to fill & frost a 3-layer cake?) Also, does it need to be refrigerated after the cake is filled? I was hoping to use it under fondant. Can it be made a day early before using it and refrigerate it a day? Thanks!
I just tried this recipe, and with a few minor alterations it was excellent. I added a few ounces more powdered sugar because when I tasted the frosting containing an even pound, I could still taste the unsweetened chocolate. The extra couple ounces gave it a nice bittersweet taste. I also used heavy cream instead of milk. I'll definitely use this one again, but I'll probably double it!
This recipe is fantastic. I used 4oz of unsweetened chocolate and 3oz of semisweet and it was delicious. It was thick and sturdy enough to hold up well under fondant, but had a really smooth and creamy texture. Thanks for the recipe!
I love this recipe. Its all I use now for chocolate icing
i Love it too. I used it as both filling and frosting and turned out great. It crusts very good and work great with fondant as well. I would try it though with a ratio of unsweetened and semi-sweet chocolate.
HI!! I'm new with this kind of frosting and ike to know how much should I prepare to cover and fill a 12 inch birthday cake. Thank You!!
Just what I was searching for this is a fantastic frosting I used it to fill n frost. This is my new chocolate buttercream!!!! I also used heavy cream and andeed 1 oz dark chocolate chips!
Login To Leave A Comment