I’ve been trying to perfect a no added sugar fruit cake for several weeks and found this adapted recipe came out the best for taste. A batch of the 12 cake recipe made me two 4″ round and 2 6″ round cakes, adjusting the cooking time to 2 hours and 3 hours.
No added sugar fruit cake
- 3 1/2 lbs mixed dried fruit (currants, sultanas and raisins).
- The grated rind and juice of 2 lemons.
- 2 tablespoons orange juice.
- 1 grated dessert apple
- 14 oz plain flour
- 12 oz low fat marg ( I use Flora)
- Equivalent of 12 oz sugar in a granular substitute such as Splenda (approx 2 tblspns per oz of sugar)
- 8 eggs
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 2 teaspoons, nutmeg, 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 4 teaspoons coffee granules dissolved in 1 tablespoon water.
- Marinade the dried fruit, lemon rind and apple in the fruit juices ( alternatively put in microwave on high for 1 minute to get the juices into the fruit and plump them up).
- Cream the fat and Splenda, add eggs with a little of the flour.
- Add the spices to the rest of the flour.
- Mix in the flour and fruit to the fat, sugar and eggs.
- Pour into prepared tins.
- Cook as above. (see introduction)
- Do not remove from tins until cool.
No Comments Yet
Login To Leave A Comment