This is one of my customers favorite cakes, hope you enjoy making it and eating it!!
Makes 2- 8in
Meringue Fruit cake
- For the Cake:
- 10 eggs – separated
- 9 tbs of sugar
- 8 tbs of flour
- 2 tbs of cornstarch
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 5 tbs of water
For the inside of the cake:
- Gelatin pack, flavored or unflavored depending on taste
- fruit juices
For the Meringue:
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
For the fruit topping:
- Most any fruit you’d like, I use these:
- Pineapples, kiwi, strawberry, peach, grapes.
- For the cake:
- 1.prepare pans ( two 8in or 9 in) by covering inside in shortening and flour
- 2.separate the eggs,
- 3.beat the egg whites with the sugar until stiff peaks are formed
- 4.beat the egg yolks with the water until creamy almost white
- 5. sift flour, cornstarch, baking powder and baking soda and add it to the egg yolk mixture a little at a time.
- 6. pour egg white mixture into yolk mixture, mix with a spoon,or spatula, carefully mixing one way.
- 7. pour into pans, bake from 20 to 25 min depending on your oven.
- When cake is cooled, make syrup for inside,
- 1. use the juice from fruit cans if using them, if not water is fine, 1 cup of liquid is what I use
- 2. warm the juice or water and mix in the gelatin, flavored if using with water
- unflavored if using with juices. Or play it by ear… it’s good either way.
- 3. pour it into the cake, a little at a time, how much you put in depends on your taste of dry to soggy preference
- 4. let sit in the fridge from 1 to 3 hours
- **** I like to cut up some fruit into tiny pieces and mix it up with whipped cream and put it in the middle of the cake also.
- When ready make the Meringue:
- 1. start boiling the sugar and water, when it starts to boil
- 2. start mixing the egg whites
- 3, sugar mixture should be at hard candy stage I think it’s about 250-260 degrees,
- 4 when egg whites are forming stiff peaks, slowly pour in the sugar keep mixing at full speed for about 5 min, or until it’s cooled down.
- 5 then spread it on the cake, it can get sticky so you need a cup of warm water for the spatula. that will leave it looking smooth.
- Cut the fruit up, wash and dry and set on the top to make any design you want!!