Dont be tempted to substitute instant coffee – the cake will take much better if you include a cup of real espresso. This cake is fantastic layered with coffee buttercream and covered in glossy dark chocolate ganache – a MUST for coffee lovers!!!
This cake will keep for upto 4 days once covered and decorated. Can be frozen and will need to defrost overnight.
Coffee and Walnut Cake
- 325g unsalted butter, softened
- 325g golden caster sugar
- 6 medium eggs, beaten
- 325g sieved self raising (cake flour)
- 3tbsp baking powder (sieved)
- 4tbsp ground coffee
- 225ml boiling water (to yield 4-5tbsp espresso)
- 150g walnuts chopped
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 (fan 160), conventional 350 (fan 180) Gas 4. All ingredients to be at room temperature. Prepare 2 sandwich tins – grease and flour as normal. Beat the softened butter until light and fluffy. Make expresso (use can use expresso powder).
- Add the sugar, eggs, sieved flour and baking powder, espresso and vanilla extract to the butter in the bowl and mix for 5 mins until light and fluffy. Fold in the chopped walnuts – mixture should drop easily from a spoon. Divide mixture between tins and bake for 45 mins, until cake skewer inserted comes out clean.