I used to use cocoa powder in my chocolate buttercream but I got so tired of the mess!! So, I decided to try melted chocolate and wow! This recipe is smooth, creamy, and will crust over after about 5-10 minutes.
I’ve also noticed since I started using the melted chocolate that I no longer have the dark streaks-see my pics!
Chocolate Buttercream (crusting)
- 22 tbs. salted butter (it’s almost 3 sticks)
- 2/3 c. Crisco shortening
- 5-8 tbs half and half or light cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 oz. unsweetened chocolate that’s been melted and cooled to room temp.
- 2 lbs powdered sugar (about 8 cups)
- 1-3 tbs corn syrup
- Melt the chocolate first using either the microwave or like I do: I put my chocolate in a glass measuring cup, place that in a pot with water in it (making sure the water isn’t so deep it flows into the measuring cup) and heat on the stove over medium, stirring occasionally until fully melted. Allow to cool to room temp.
- Once the chocolate is cooled, cream together butter and shortening until smooth. Slowly add 2 tsp. vanilla and 5 tbs. of cream, then add the chocolate. Gradually add the powdered sugar and scrape down the bowl very well once it’s all added. Slowly add more cream and corn syrup a tbs at a time until frosting reaches desired consistency (you may not need a lot, depending on how hot your kitchen is and how humid it is outside).