I’ve never made the Chocolate Guinness cake from scratch (per any of the various recipes found online)– however, I did make my own “doctored” version solely out of grocery-store bought ready-made ingredients. The finished cake I cannot, therefore, truthfully compare to the scratch recipe, but this version is on its own very good–chocolaty and very moist, with just a hint of Guinness (not overpowering– a pleasant and unexpected undertone). Whipped cream cheese-flavored icing provides the ideal finish– mildly sweet, allowing the flavors of the cake to take center-stage.
Perfect for Dad, the Groom, or as a fun family nod to the birthday boy’s 21st.
Dark Chocolate Guinness Cake
- You’ll Need:
(1) Box Duncan HinesDark Chocolate FudgeCake Mix
- (1) 14.6 oz. can Guinness Draught, to be subsituted in exact measurement for water as per box instructions
- Eggs as per box instructions
- Oil as per box instructions(Note: I tend to add a tiny drop extra to ensure moistness)
- (1) Can Betty Crocker‘Whipped’ Cream Cheese-flavoredicing (or however many is required for filling and finishing purposes.)
- Combine all ingredients as per box instructions, substituting Guinness in the place of water in equal measurement. Bake as per box instructions. Allow to cool; ice with Betty Crocker ‘Whipped’ Cream Cheese-flavored icing.
Alcohol content of each slice is at most neglegible.