I’m not a coffee person but I love tiramisu cream, so I experimented a little and created this recipe for a chocolate tiramisu, sans the coffee. I hope you’ll give it a try despite the fact that I substituted a rather prominent ingredient. I’ve also made it as a caramel tiramisu, or both before. They’ve been a big hit with friends and family!
Chocolate Tiramisu (no coffee)
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 c sugar
- 16 oz mascarpone cheese
- 1 to 1 1/2 tsp imitation rum extract
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 pkg (approx 3 oz each) lady fingers
- 1 cup dark chocolate ice cream syrup
- Equal parts unsweetened cocoa powder and ground cinnamon, mixed
- 1/4 c chocolate curls (optional)
**A great substitute for mascarpone cheese is two 8 oz pkg cream cheese and 1/3 c sour cream, mixed together.**
- In a small mixer bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and lemon-colored. Place in top of double boiler over boiling water. Reduce heat to low and cook 8 to 10 minutes, stirring constantly to cook the yolks. Remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl combine mascarpone cheese and rum extract until soft. Add to egg and sugar mixture.
- In another bowl whip cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into cheese and egg mixture; set aside.
- Line bottom of serving, trifle, or parfait bowl with lady fingers. Squeeze a small amount of chocolate syrup over the lady fingers. Spoon 1/3 of the cream mixture over lady fingers. Repeat lady fingers, syrup, and cream layers two more times.
- Cover and refrigerator over night to moisten lady fingers.
- Before serving, uncover and garnish top with cocoa-cinnamon mixture and chocolate curls. Can also garnish with whipped cream, if desired.
No Comments Yet
Login To Leave A Comment