Pineapple II Pound Cake
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained, divided
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup butter or margarine (2 sticks)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Put 3/4 cup of undrained pineapple with its juice in a small bowl; set aside. Drain remaining pineapple and measure 1 cup of drained crushed pineapple; set aside.
- Cream shortening, butter, and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Sift flour and baking powder together; add to creamed mixture, 1 large spoonful at a time, alternately with milk. Add vanilla; stir in 3/4 cup undrained pineapple with juice and blend well. Pour batter into a well greased and floured 10-inch tube pan. Place in cold oven. Turn oven to 325Â° and bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until top springs back when touched lightly with finger. Let pineapple pound cake stand for few minutes in pan. Run knife around edges to loosen and remove pineapple cake carefully to a rack. Combine butter, confectioners’ sugar, and about 1 cup drained pineapple. Pour pineapple sauce over cake while still hot.