This is a very rich, fragrant apricot filling, that infuses the whole cake with a delicate flavor. I love it with a good butter cake, but it pairs well with white cakes, almond cakes, or of course, apricot cake. You can omit the rum or brandy.
Brandied or Rum Apricot Walnut Filling
- 1/3 cup butter plus 1 T (not margarine)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 12 oz apricot preserves
- Â¼ cup brandy or rum
- 2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- Â½ T gelatin (1/2 of package)
- 2 T cold water
- In non-stick pan, toast walnuts with 1 T of butter until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle gelatin over cold water in a very small bowl.
- Remove toasted walnuts from pan, set aside.
- Add 1/3 cup of butter and brown sugar to non-stick pan. Melt over low heat, stirring gently until brought to low, gentle simmer. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Blend in preserves, brandy (or rum), and walnuts. Cool slightly, and blend in gelatin.
- Refrigerate to set.