The back story is: I bought Wilton fondant the first time I wanted to work with fondant. It, of course, tasted HORRIBLE, so I decided to make up my own recipe. The overall taste is similar to those cream cheese mints you sometimes get at weddings. Oh the blissâ¦
Iâll share what I have, but Iâll just warn you, I donât really measure! And if youâve worked with fondant before, you know thereâs a range to the proper amount anyway, depending on the humidity and such thingsâ¦ Anywayâ¦ Iâll give you the recipe just as I make itâ¦
Cream Cheese based fondant
- 8 oz. softened Philly Cream Cheese (NOT low-fat or fat free)
- 2 lbs (or so) powdered sugar
- 1/4-1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 tbs corn syrup
- 1-2 tsp clear vanilla
- 1-2 tsp almond flavoring (Or any other extract you desire. I usually use Almond flavoring or Mint extractâ¦ Mint fondant on a chocolate cake is TASTYâ¦)
- 1. I mix mine by hand with a STURDY spoon, putting the cream cheese in first, and adding maybe 1 lb of powdered sugar and all the cornstarch. I donât own a heavy-duty mixer, but Iâm assuming that using one would also be fine.
- 2. After thatâs fairly smooth, add 1/2 lb PS and the corn syrup and vanilla. It will probably be rather sticky when youâre done mixing.
- 3. This is okay, because youâre going to need to knead it with some MORE powdered sugar until itâs the right consistency to roll out (Thus coming to approximately 2 lbs total of PS).
- 4. To color, knead in icing colors (if desired), and roll out on copious amounts of PS.
- This is a VERY soft fondant, and prone to cracks and tearing, itâs made me cry a few timesâ¦ HOWEVER, the taste (both the chocolate and the regular kind) is soooo good, Iâll sacrifice a bit in the way of looks to have a great taste! Almost all my cakes in my pictures are made with this fondantâ¦
- CHOCOLATE FONDANT: Substitute cocoa for the cornstarch, and leave out almond extract.
this is not a good recipe. sorry but even after adjusting it with half the cheese it still fell apart. i even tried it as a mmf and still no go. cheese just doesn't work in sturdy fondants. VERY soft try impossible t hold together. taste great. sorry just wanted to give my honest opinion .
It didnt wirkout for me either. It was a total liquid even after adding everything. Almond extract flavour made it kind of bitter too. I feel so bad. All my ingredients went to waste.
Login To Leave A Comment