This substitutions chart has been a life saver for me for many, many years. Every time I have used it, it has turned out perfect results. Hope this helps someone else who may be out of this or that but has this and that to compensate in a pinch.
I wish I knew who gave it to me so long ago so I can extend a heart felt thanks.
In a Pinch Substitutions Chart
- Buttermilk: Yields 1/2 cup and can be doubled, tripled etc.
Put 1 Tbsp of Lemon Juice in a 1/2 cup measuring cup. Fill the rest of the way with milk. (I use whole but works with any kind I believe) Let stand 5 minutes. (will have what seems a grainy texture but doesn’t affect the outcome of cakes, flavor etc.)
Sour Cream: Yields 1 cup can be doubled etc.
1/3 cup butter (unsalted) room temperature and 3/4 cup buttermilk (I use the buttermilk substitution above) blend until thickened. ( I have used the butter cold it just takes longer and splashes)
Tastes exactly like sour cream and the texture is the same too.
- Self-Rising Flour
- *For each cup of self-rising flour, place 1-1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt in a 1 cup measuring cup…add all-purpose flour to measure 1 cup total.
- Baking Powder: Yields 1 tsp
- 1/4 tsp baking soda and 5/8 tsp cream of tartar
- Whipping Cream: Yields 1 cup
- 2/3 cup of ICE COLD Evaporated Milk
- (Whips to equal volume as 1 cup of whipping cream)