I wanted something different for a chocolate cake I had, so I decided to play around a bit. I had a small amount of ben n Jerryâs Chunky Monkey left, so I let it melt and added that to a basic buttercream recipe and it was actually REALLY tasty!
Ice Cream Buttercream
- 1 lb of powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt (optinal, I usually omit this)
- 1/4 cup of melted ice cream (maybe more depending on consistency)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- Allow your ice cream to melt in the fridge. Ice c ream is a great addition to cake too, in replacement of the liquids.
- Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl. Beat with electric mixer or with heavy spoon until smooth and creamy; scrape bowl often. If too stiff to spread easily, beat in a more ice cream as needed.
- Great variations are available with all the bazillions of ice cream flavors out there. This is not always going to be the smoothest icing, so on cupcakes, this rocks!!!