Rosemary Watson’s Gumpaste
- 1 pound box powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon Gum Tragacanth
- 1/3 cup cold water (less 1 or 2 Tablespoons for a firmer gumpaste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Knox unflavored gelatin
- 1 Tablespoon Shortening (Cisco/Palmin)
- 3 Tablespoons Clear corn syrup or Glucose
- Combine powdered sugar and Gum Tragacanth in KitchenAid mixer bowl. Place bowl over a saucepan of boiling water. Stir occasionally to heat the entire contents evenly. When ready it should feel warm to the touch.
- Meanwhile, soften the gelatin in the cold water in a heatproof glass container (Pyrex measuring cup works well) Allow this to sit 5 to 15 minutes. Melt Shortening and cool a bit. Place glass container of gelatin in a small pan of water, heat till the gelatin is melted and clear. Remove container from hot water and add the glucose or corn syrup and the melted shortening, stir to combine.
- I melt the Crisco in a plastic measuring cup in the microwave and I also heat the corn syrup the same way. It just makes it easier to scrape out of the container when adding it to the melted gelatin.
- Pour this liquid mixture into the warm powdered sugar/Gum Tragacanth. Mix on low speed till combined, raise speed to high and beat for 5 minutes. The mixture will stiffen up and feel marshmallowy. Scrape out of bowl onto a piece of plastic wrap that has been coated lightly with Crisco. Wrap well and put in sealed ziplock bag which is also coated inside with a film of Crisco. Let sit at room temperature for 12 hours, knead slightly before using.