My boys love Oreo Cakesters, but knowing they are so bad for them and that they are so expensive, I decided to try to make them myself. Here’s what I came up with.
Chocolate Whoopie Pies (Cakesters)
- 1 box devil’s food cake mix
- 1 package instant chocolate pudding
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup white shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- To make the pies, prepare cake mix following the directions on the box, EXCEPT, use only 3/4 cup water, add one box of instant chocolate pudding and add an extra egg.
- use a medium disher to place balls of batter onto parchment paper lined pans (or a greased pans) bake in a 350* oven for 13 minutes.
- cool the pies on a wire rack while preparing the filling.
- To make the filling, combine milk and flour into small pot and wisk continuously on medium heat until the mexture becomes thick. Remove from heat and let come to room temperature. Meanwhile, in your mixer, add sugar, shortening, butter and vanilla, and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add in the cooled milk/flour mixture and beat for a few more minutes until it becomes light, fluffy and well incorporated.
- To fill, place the filling in a piping bag with only a coupler on the end. pipe a concentric ring of filling on the bottom of one pies and place another pie on top.