This is a fun way to serve tiramisu. The filling can be used in cakes that are refrigerated, and the coffee-rum syrup can also be used as the liquid in your favorite buttercream recipe to make a delicious filling for wedding and fondant cakes.
- Coffee-rum Syrup:
1/2 cup water
- 2 T fresh ground coffee
- 2 T sugar
- 2 T rum (not extract)
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 3 T sugar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 3 T coffee-rum syrup
- 2 T heavy cream, plus 3/4 cup
- 3 T powdered sugar
- 2 oz. dark chocolate, grated
- First, make Coffee-Rum Syrup:
- Brew coffee in small coffee maker. Once it is made, and still hot, add 2 T sugar. Stir until dissolved. Blend in 2 T rum. Set aside.
- For wedding and fondant cakes: just add coffee-rum syrup as liquid to your favorite buttercream recipe (instead of water, cream, milk, and/or extracts). Brush cake with additional syrup before filling.
- Otherwise, Beat cream-cheese, sugar, salt, syrup, and @ T heavy cream, on medium-high until creamy, without lumps.
- In a separate bowl, whip 3/4 cup heavy cream and 3 T powdered sugar until mixture forms stiff peaks. (Pre-chill bowl to help process).
- Fold whipped cream gently into cream-cheese mixture. Chill if needed to set up.
- For cupcakes: bake 24 of your favorite almond or white cake cupcakes. Remove paper liners. Place each cupcake in a glass serving dish, clear solo cup, or group together on a pretty glass tray. Cut each cupcake in half, horizontally (torte them). Brush each bottom half with coffee-rum syrup, cover with one heaping T of filling, sprinkle with grated chocolate, and cover with top half of cupcake. Brush top half with syrup, cover with 1 heaping T of filling, and sprinkle with grated chocolate. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- For full-sized cakes: brush torted cake with remaining coffee-rum syrup. Fill with cream filling. Cover wth grated dark chocolate.
- Makes 3 cups. This is a soft, creamy filling that needs to be kept refrigerated. Use the butter-cream version for wedding and fondant cakes.
Well, I suppose there’s lot of calcium in this!