I was searching for a milk free cake for my daughter’s teacher and finally decided to tweak a scratch recipe w/ the help of some CC members! This has a wonderful almond flavor and is great for cupcakes. Compliments BC nicely (allthough I used a butterless buttercream). It has a slightly spongy texture.
White Cake w/ Optional Milk Free Version
- 1 C Sugar
- 1/2 C Shortening ( I used Crisco )
- 4 Egg Whites
- 1 tsp. Almond Extract ( vanilla would be great too)
- 2 C Cake Flour ( I used SoftasSilk)
- 3 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 C Milk or 1/4 C Evaporated Milk diluted w/ 1/4 C Water
OR FOR MILK FREE VERSION
1/4 C Coconut Milk diluted w/ 1/4 C Water
- Cream sugar and shortening. Sift flour, then measure, and sift again w/ baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture alternately w/ milk to creamed sugar and shortening. Don’t forget to scrape the bowl every so often. Beat thoroughly. Add flavoring. Add egg whites one at a time incorporating well after each addition. Pour into lined cupcake pan filling half way. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 min.
- Can also be made into a cake. I’m guessing this would possibly make 2 8″ rounds….but I’m just guessing!
No Comments Yet
Login To Leave A Comment