This is a great southern cake that is so moist and wonderful. My family has enjoyed this cake for many years.
Lemon-Cheese Layer Cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup halfand half
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 recipe lemon cheese(Recipe follows)
- 2 cups 7 minute Frosting(Use your favorite receipe)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Greese and flour three nine inch cake pans
- In a mixing bowl beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- In another bowl combine flour baking powder, and salt add to creamed mixture alternating with half and half, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix well, stir in lemon juice. Divide batter among prepared pans
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean
- let cool in pans for 10 minutes. remove layers from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- To Assemble Cake
- Spread Lemon Cheese between layers and on top and sides of cake. Place seven minute frosting in a pastry bag fitted with a star tip and garnish cake with piped shells around top and bottom edges.
- Lemon cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- In a medium saucepan combine sugar, water, flour, egg yolks,and lemon juice until blended. cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 7 to 8 minutes, or until mixture thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Add butter, stirring until completely blended. Add lemon zest stirring well.
- Let cool to room temperature before using as a frosting. Store in covered container in the refrigerator.
- Candied lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/2 cup sugar
- In a bowl combine zest and sugar tossin gently to coat zest. Use as a garnish on your cake.