This is a recipe that a lady in our town use to make and cell. She would not give her recipe out. When she retired she published it in our local News Paper. I have been making this cake every since and many have enjoyed it.
Mrs. McQuitty’s Lemon Chiffon Cake
- 1 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 cup Wesson oil
- Egg yolks
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp. lemon extract
- 1 1/3 cup egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 3/4 tsp. cream of tartar, dissolved in 2 Tbs. water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup Wondra flour ( the instant flour in the flour section of your store)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 stick(1/2 cup) butter
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice (reaLemon)
- 2 tsp. lemon extract
Icing: ( I usually double this)
1/4 cup shortening ( use to use crisco but now use shortening that has transfat)
- 1 lb. powdered sugar
- 2 Tbs. Lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp. lemon extract
- 1 tsp. butter flavoring ( I use Wilton Clear butter flavoring)
- Hot water
- Sift together in 1 qt. mixing bowl the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the middle and add Wesson oil. Into a large mixing bowl, separate enough eggs to make 1 1/3 cups egg whites, putting the whole yolks into the bowl with the flour and oil mixture. Into the flour mixture add water and lemon extract. Beat with spoon until well mixed. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites to which the dissolved cream of tartar has been addedand beat until stiff. Add 1 cup sugar slowly. Continue to beat until very stiff and quite creamy. Set mixer to low seed and slowly pour in the first mixture until well mixed. Pour into ungreased 9 X 13″ pan. I usually put waxed paper or parchment paper on the bottom of the pan so the cake will come out easier. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes. Invert pan on wire rack immediately and cool completely. Split cake down the middle, remove top half, spread filling, replace top half of cake and ice. I usually crumb coat the cake at this point.
- Sift together sugar, flour and salt in 1 qt. saucepan. Add the boiling water and butter and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick and clear appearing. Beat egg yolks, add a small amount of filling to the yolks and then add back into the filling mixture and cook about 1 minute longer, stirring constantly. If to thick water may be added as small amount at a time until right consistency. Add lemon juice and lemon extract and mix well. cool completely.
- Mix all ingredients together and add hot water a little at a time until it is of right spreading consistency.