This is a spanish recipe that I have changed a bit and has become a regular within friends and family. Flancocho means custard and cake, I love the smoothness of the flan combined with the moist cake in caramel in the bottom. Enjoy.
- 1 cup of sugar (for caramel)
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 can of evaporated milk
- 1 can of condensed milk
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 box of chocolate or butter cake (I only use BC super moist mixes but you could use your favorite)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 butter stick
- 3/4 cup of water
- Set a mold in a broiling pan (bano the Maria) and preheat oven at 315. Place the sugar and water in a heat resistant microwave bowl and microwave for 6 to 8 minutes on high and keep your eye on it till is just a light golden color. If the caramel gets too dark it will be bitter. (I prefer to use the microwave method is faster and has better results) Stove Top Caramel: Melt the sugar in a non-stick pan over low heat until melted. No water needed for stovetop but its more time consuming. Inmediately pour over an 8″ metal pan and swirl around to cover bottom and sides of pan. Pan will be HOT careful. You will have to be quick because it will start to harden as it cools down.
- Blend all ingredients for the flan in a medium bowl until completely mixed, set aside.
- Blend all ingredients for cake in a medium bowl until completely mixed, set aside.
- Pour the flan mixture thru a metal strainer right into the caramelized pan. Now carefully spoon the cake mixture in top of the flan mixture. It will float so make sure you cover the entire surface. If gaps are visible just swirl the cake carefully with a fork until entire surface is covered. Bake at 315 for one hour. Test if is done by inserting a skewer or knife in the center and it comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let it sit on the counter for 30 minutes. Run a butter knife to loosen up edges and invert onto a plate before refrigeration. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight. Enjoy.
Yo lo hice y sabe delicioso. Esta receta la vi en una revista y el nombre era Chocoflan, pero es la misma. Asi que haganlo y no se van arrepentir.
Login To Leave A Comment