Double this dough for a small to medium size ginerbread house. Great dough for houses
Gingerbread Dough for House
- 5 to 5 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground giner
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon groud cloves
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 whole eggs, lightly beaten at room temp
- 1 1/4 cup molasses
- Sift together the first 7 ingredients and set aside. In a large electric mixer bowl beat together the shortening and sugar. Add the eggs and molasses and continue beating until incorporated into the sugar mixture.
- Add 4 cups of the flour mixture and mix well.
- Scrap flour mixture out of mixing bowl onto top of counter and knead in by hand the remainder of the flour mixture.
- If necessary add a little more flour to make the dough firm. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and allow to rest for at least one hour in a cool spot or refrigerate overnight. If refirigerated allow dough to warm up slightly prior to rolling out
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For best results bake your ginerbread pieces on a cookie sheet pan that has been turned upside down. Taking the cookie sheet and turning it over use a paper towel with a little cooking oil and lightly grease the cookie sheet. Take your ginerbread and roll out the dough on top of the greased cookie sheet to approz 1/4 inch thickness. Taking your house pattern cut out the desired pieces using a sharp knife or a rolling blade pizza cutter.
- Once cut, gently remove the excess dough away from the desired cutouts. this method allows you to leave the cut out pieces of dough on your baking sheet without moving them. many times large pieces will become distorted or tear it cut out on a work surgace and then moved to the baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet into oven and bake for approx 8 to 12 minutes or untl the edges start to slightly brown.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and allow to cool for 1 minute, and using a large spatula or pancake turner transfer pieces to a wire rack and allow to cool completely before assembly.