Was looking for a moist cake that was stackable for a wedding tiered cake. Every recipe I found was for a bundt cake or bars. So this is tried and tested and came out delicious and moist. It does include the cake mix extender in the recipe below. Enjoy this, It was Heavenly!
Heavenly Pumpkin Spice Cake
- 1 package spice cake mix 18.25 oz
- 1 cup plain white flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 4 oz instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 8 oz sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegatable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp cinnamon
Mix the following for a yummy filling:
- 4 oz softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- then mix in 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg and 1/4 tsp vanilla. Once mixed slowly add 1/2 cup whipping cream. Beat for 1-2 minutes. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours. Great to make ahead of time. Do not try to freeze. I did this and it was not a good idea.
- Preheat Oven to 325-350 degrees, grease and flour pan. I use the wilton chart for how long to bake this cake depending on pan size and depth plus an extra 8-10 minutes because of the added pumplin. I also use a cake nail(s) in the center for a level cake.
- Combine all ingredients and beat on medium speed for about 6 minutes. This will make about 7.5 cups of batter. It will easily make one 9×13 sheet or 2 8″ round cakes.
- Pour into your prepared pans and bake for 40-55 minutes depending on pan size.
- Alternative recipe: Chocolate pumpkin cake, subsitute devil’s food cake mix for the spice mix listed above. In my experimentations, I did this accidentally and it was delicious. I used the pumpkin filling above and topped it with cream cheese icing and my office had a very sweet treat! No one could figure out the ingredients.
- When I baked my 14 in x 3 in round it took 65 minutes because I bake at 325 degrees.