I added sultanas to this recipe.
One of the best tasting gluten free cakes I have made or eaten in a long time.
If you wish to flour the pan as well, use rice flour.
Carrot cake with passionfruit topping
- 375 gram (12 oz) rice flour
- 1 tablespoon of gluten free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 250 gram (8 oz) soft brown sugar
- 300 gram (10 oz) carrots, peeled and grated
- 200 gram (7 0z) walnuts, chopped
- 100 ml (3 1/2 fl oz) olive oil or rapeseed oil
- 4 tablespoons creme fraiche
- 3 eggs
For the topping:
- 200 gram (7 oz) cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons gluten free icing sugar (pure NOT soft)
- 2 passionfruit, flesh removed
- 1. Grease and line a 20 cm (8 inch) loose bottomed, deep cake tin. Sift the flour, baking powder and spice together into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar, carrots and walnuts.
- 2. Place oil, reeme fraiche and eggs in another bowl and beat together, then stir into the dry ingredients, Spoon the mixture into the tin and place in a preheated oven 180 C (350 F, Gas Mark 4) for about 35 – 40 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- 3. To make the topping, place teh cream cheese, icing sugar and passionfruit flesh in a bowl and beat together. Smooth over the cake.
Not that we really care…… lol
Kcals 467 (1952 kj)
Protein 9 g
Carb 43 g
Fat 30 g
Saturated fat 8 g
Fibre 3 g