This is a simple cake to make and decorate. It give the kids a yummy cake without too much icing, and a bit of veggies and its a pretty centerpiece for your dessert table too!
Pumpkin shaped pumpkin cake
- You need to make TWO of the cakes for the finished product.
- FOR THE CAKE:
- Any boxed devil’s food cake mix
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice blend
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter at room temp
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup water
- optional – 1 cup toasted, finely ground pecans
- FOR THE ICING:
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 – 3 tablespoons lemon or orange juice
- orange food coloring
- FOR DECORATING:
- 1 roll marzipan
- green food coloring
- green buttercream frosting
- Mix cake ingredients for each of the 2 cakes one at a time and pour into prepared bundt cake pan. You can do both at the same time if you have 2 bundt cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Test for doneness with a toothpick. Let cool on a rack for 10 minutes then tip out and allow to cool completley.
- Trim the flat part of each cake. Place one cake upside down on a cake plate and the other on top of it. This makes your pumpkin shape. Mix together the orange icing and drizzle all over the top and sides of the cake.
- Put a few drops of green food coloring on the marzipan and kneed it together until the color is consistent. (Use non latex gloves so you don’t have green hands for a week!) Form into a stem and place on the top of the cake. Pipe green buttercream vines and leaves on top.