My Grma used ot make this all the time it is rich and oh soo yummy!Great for special occasions!
Swiss Truffle Cake
- 2 c heavy cram
- 4 T unsalted butter
- 4 T light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 lbs semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 7 oz semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 c sugar
- 8 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 7 oz blanched or natural almonds, finely ground
- 2/3 c fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 T unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder
- For ganache: In a medium saucepan, bring the cream, butter, and corn syrup to a boil over moderate heat. Remove from the heat, add the chocolate, stir once and let stand for 5 minutes. Whisk until smooth and strain into a bowl. Refrigerate until thickened, about 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven 350 and position a rack in the middle. Butter a 10 1/2 by 15 1/2 ” jelly roll pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Butter the paper. In a small bowl set over a saucepan of hot water, melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream the butter with half of the sugar. Beat in the chocolate; then beat in the egg yolks 1 at a time. Combine the almonds and bread crumbs and stir them into the batter.
- In large bowl, whip the egg whites until they hold very soft peaks. Gradually beat in the remaining sugar until the whites hold firm peaks. Stir one-quarter of the whites into batter, then fold in the remaining whites.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Bake for 20 min. Let the cake cool in the pan for 2 min, then loosen the sides with tip of a knife. Invert the cake onto a rack and peel off the paper. Cover the cake with another rack and turn it right side up. Let cool to room temperature.
- To assemble the 2 cakes, halve layer crosswise. Cut each half
- crosswise into thirds, each about 3 1/2 by 7 3/4 “. Cut 2 pieces of stiff cardboard about 1/4 ” larger than the layers. Place 1 cake rectangle on each cardboard.
- Gently whisk the ganache to a spreading consistency. Using a long metal spatula, spread each of the 2 rectangles of cake with about 3 T of ganache. Cover with 2 more layers of cake and ganache. Frost the sides of 2 cakes with ganache.
- To finish, spoon the remaining ganache into a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2 ” plain tip and pipe thick diagonal strips on top of the cakes. Refrigerate the cakes to set, about 2 hours. Let the cakes return to room temperature. Just before serving, dust the tops of the cakes with cocoa powder
Not healthy but sure is YUMMY!!!!
Do you have a picture you can download? It's sounds different and delicious, but I'm not sure I understand how to assemble it?
Login To Leave A Comment