This recipe is an expanded version of my Gram’s buttercream. Everytime I make it I remember her hand mixer working overtime
. Perfect for large cakes. Recipe will also generously frost 100 cupcakes. I use my KitchenAid stand mixer for this, as it is a pretty big batch.
Peppermint ButterCream Recipe
- 12 egg whites
- 2 and 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 and 1/2 cup water
- pinch of cream of tartar
- 4 cups (2lbs) butter at room temp.
- 1tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3-4 tsps pure peppermint extract
- Whip egg whites and cream of tartar on high until frothy. Add in 1 cup of the sugar and continue to whip until stiff peaks.
- While eggs are whipping, cook sugar/water mix. Add the remaining sugar (1-1/2cup) and the water in a heavy bottom pot. DO NOT STIR. Cook over med high heat until sugar reaches softball stage (240 deg).
- Once it reaches temperature pour slowly down the side of the mixer (keep mixer running med speed) whipping the sugar mix into the egg whites. Turn mixer into overdrive and whip for 5-10mins, to cool down the eggs/sugar to room temp. Start adding in the butter in small pieces. The frosting may seem to melt a little, but it will come together the longer it is whipped/cooled.
- Keep whipping and add vanilla, and then 1 tsp at a time of the peppermint extract, tasting after each peppermint addition.
- Works best if made same day as needed, but it can be refrigerated for a few days and whipped back into a spreadable consistency.
Oh boy…we won’t even discuss how bad nutritionally this is! lol
No Comments Yet
Login To Leave A Comment